Sunday, December 7, 2008

After the Ball...


Company Xmas parties - bah, humbug... a social gathering of 110 of my closest fellow employees (including a guest) dressed up to go out to dinner. The age-old question of what to wear, the same few people over drink (and some new ones), and since I'm the "party planner" I hang around and make sure everyone is having a good time. For me, it’s just another day of work.

I am grateful that this year we just had a dinner, NOT an event as I have been fighting laryngitis now for over a month. Maggiano's made it all happen and the food was wonderful. Since most of the staff has never seen me in a dress, I made quite the impression showing up fashionably late (when the new construction traffic re-route had me doing loops at the airport - I felt like a plane in a holding pattern!) and once I got to the reasturant I couldn't find the valet to park my car (yes, valet - as a single woman, you don't go traipsing thru parking lots alone in a red dress at night to find your car).

The owner (Joe) had planned on playing “Let’s Make a Deal” at the party to give away cash, and at the last minute took a different car to the party, leaving all the “Door #1, #2, and #3” boxes at home – youtube it if you don’t have a clue – Monty Hall. That left me off the hook for the evening...

I was able to enjoy a quiet (quiet is relative with the hub bub of that many people) with a table of 7 (yes, I was odd man out) and sneak out the back-Jack when the rowdy staff was getting ready to party-on Garth (some to the Blue Martinti and some to the Hard Rock to gamble).

Can’t wait to hear THOSE stories Monday morning with a cup of coffee in hand…

2 comments:

hepcatrayo said...

I can't wait until you spend the REAL Christmas (real Christmas has snow, after all) up here with us!

And from Henry: "Thanks for coming to our house, cause we'd like you to come back to our house. What's that trash can there for? Why's it on the computer?"

YpsiParentals said...

You look nice Mom. Looking forward to your visit north!